Thursday, January 30, 2014

"Baptism and the Gift of the Holy Ghost"

Teachings of Presidents of the Church
Lorenzo Snow

I love studying the gospel!  This is the first time in my life that I have made it a priority and I am so glad I have.  Some days I learn new things and am impressed by what is said.  Other days I don't learn anything and am not impressed.  I am grateful for the days that I do.  Today I was enlightened about baptism.  I was baptized when I was eight and my eldest daughter has been baptized.  I have never thought of why we do exactly what we do with baptism.  I may have heard at some point part of what I read but never felt it so deeply before.  There are some great scriptures from the New Testament that give it more meaning.  In John 3:23 it says he traveled to a city that had much water.  If only a sprinkling was sufficient why would he travel to a place that had much water?  There are a few scriptures that signify that they were all the way in the water.  The Saviour came up out of the water (Matthew 3:16).  Eunuch went down into the water and then came up out of the water (Acts 8:26-38).  The symbol that I think I have heard of before is that going in the water is like being buried and coming up again is like the resurrection (Romans 6:4,; Colossians 2:12).

No comments:

Post a Comment